So around many a college campus in, there's this thing Thirsty Thursdays. It's probably the reason half the collegiate population is useless on Fridays. And while my nickname while at the CIA was "yes, Mom", I am not to be counted out for a good time, or a great white sangria recipe. If I do say so myself, my sangria rocks.
sparkling white sangria
(you know you want it)
The makings of the Edible Times white sangria
My theory: Wine and fruit are nice. Wine and fruit and brandy are nicer. Wine and fruit and brandy and a touch of bubbles are the nicest. And earned a sort of cult following when I worked as a private chef for clients in Malibu. Like I didn't leave one client's house without making sure the pitcher of white sangria in the fridge was full and fresh (as they say, keep 'em comin' back for more).
The secrets to great sangria
The ratio of brandy to wine is a completely personal preference, but a good starting point is a half of a cup for one bottle of wine.
And once you mix the wine with all of its fruity and more sinister friends, let them mingle for a few hours while you get nice and thirsty. Thursday, or any other day of the week. So take that children, "yes, Mom" just concocted you under the table.Print
- 1 bottle dry white wine, Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio recommended
- ½ cup brandy
- ½ cup granulated sugar + ½ cup water, brought just to a boil, then cooled (or ¼ cup honey)
- 1 white peach
- ½ orange, sliced thin and into half moons, then wedges
- 1 lime, sliced into half moons
- Sparkling wine or citrus-flavored seltzer water, optional
- In a small saucepan over high heat, bring sugar and water just to a boil.
- Immediately remove and cool for five to ten minutes.
- Stir together brandy, wine and fruit in a pitcher.
- Refrigerate for at least four hours, or better yet overnight.
- To serve as sparkling sangria, splash a few ounces of champagne or sparkling wine in glass.
Keep leftovers in the fridge for a couple days, sangria ages like, well, wine!
- Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
- Cook Time: 4+ hours
- Category: Drinks
Keywords: white sangria, sangria recipe, sparkling sangria