Nutrient-packed salad that can be customized for a variety of dietary approaches.
- 4 beets, cleaned and trimmed of greens and root tip
- ¼ cup pine nuts, toasted (optional)
- baby arugula (or other salad green)
- Roquefort, Gorgonzola, or other blue cheese, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons red wine or sherry vinegar
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- drizzle of raw honey
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place beets in foil, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Add a few drops of water, and seal foil tight.
- Roast them until a knife easily penetrates, 40 minutes to an hour, depending on size.
- Cool, and remove skins with a peeler or the edge of a spoon.
- Slice beets into ¼-inch pieces, then cut into half moons.
- Optional: In a 300° F oven, toast hazelnuts until light brown and fragrant, stirring once. Cool, and roughly chop.
- Whisk together vinegar, mustard, honey and salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in olive oil. Or blend all dressing ingredients in a blender.
- In a medium bowl, combine arugula with thyme and season with salt and black pepper.
- Add blue cheese, beets, hazelnuts, drizzle with dressing and toss gently to combine.
Keywords: how to cook beets, beet salad with blue cheese, roasted beets, how to roast beets