Pico de gallo is a classic Mexican accompaniment. But take the basic recipe and mix it up any way you like, and you've got yourself one versatile spoonful of flavor!
- 6 Roma or plum tomatoes, seeds removed, diced small
- ½ small onion, diced small
- 2-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-4 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 serrano chili pepper, seeds and rib removed, minced (if you like it super spicy, add more chilis!)
- Combine all ingredients, and let flavors marry for an hour.
- Homemade salsa takes on more flavor the day after it's made. Just be mindful of those chilis - they get hotter the longer it sits!