Feel free to vary the amounts and types of ingredients for this one. The technique is what's important! Just go easy on any liquid (cream or milk), too much and you'll end up with soggy bottoms. And we don't ever want to let Mary Berry down!
- 5-8 sweet potatoes, depending on size of your pan
- Maple syrup, honey, or brown sugar
- Heavy cream
- Salt and pepper
- Peel and slice necessary amount of sweet potatoes to 1/8-inch thick. A mandolin slicer works best.
- In a bowl, whisk together 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream and ¼ cup of sweetener syrup for every four potatoes. Add a generous amount of salt and pepper to cream mixture (taste for surety).
- Coat pan with non-stick baking spray and layer potato slices all the way up to the top, drizzling with a couple tablespoons of cream mixture every two layers. Bake at 350° F until a knife inserted reaches bottom of pan easily, between 30 and 45 minutes.
- If top turns overly brown before potatoes are fully tender, cover with foil to finish cooking. Cool for 15 minutes before serving. Dollop of créme frâiche on top, if desired.
Keywords: sweet potatoes, gratin, sweet potato gratin recipe