Fluffy, quick and easy homemade buttermilk Southern biscuits! If you really want to take a trip down South, top them off with hot, spicy, creamy sausage gravy.
- 2 cups soft wheat flour (like White Lily brand) or pastry flour* (see Notes)
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 4 ounces or 8 tablespoons of butter
- ½ cup of buttermilk
For Sausage Gravy
- 1 lb of bulk Italian sausage, spicy or sweet
- ½ cup minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- few dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard seed
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- dash of hot sauce, optional
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, salt and baking powder. Add butter, and rub in until the mixture looks like chunky, wet sand.
- Add buttermilk and stir gently with a wooden spoon or your hands. Once dough begins to come together, knead gently until you have a somewhat cohesive mass.
- Turn out onto a clean surface, and knead a bit more if necessary, patting dough into a large round, about an inch thick.
- Cut into circles with a water glass or biscuit cutter dipped in flour, line side by side on a sheet tray with edges touching. You can also arrange in a large cast-iron skillet.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until biscuits are lightly brown on top.
For Sausage Gravy
- In a non-stick skillet, brown sausage over medium heat breaking into small pieces with wooden spoon. Transfer to paper towel-lined plate. While sausage cooks, mince onion and garlic.
- In same pan, cook onions over low heat for about five minutes, adding garlic right at the end.
- Sprinkle flour over oniones, and stir with a wooden spoon until the butter absorbs all the flour, one to two minutes.
- Whisk in milk, bring to a boil stirring constantly, then reduce heat to a simmer. Add spices and seasonings and simmer on low heat for five to ten minutes stirring occasionally, until gravy thickens.
- Add sausage back to gravy, and season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Keep warm over low heat.
Keywords: buttermilk biscuits recipe, biscuits and gravy, Southern biscuits, sausage gravy