- 1 soft shell crab, cleaned of face, gills and apron (buy live or flash-frozen, if possible)
- 4 tablespoons butter, unsalted, more if needed
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons capers
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
flour, for dusting on crab (can use gluten-free flour or rice flour)
- Over medium heat in a sauté pan, melt butter until it bubbles and begins to brown.
- Lightly coat crab in flour, brushing off excess.
- Add crab to pan top-side down first, and cook about four minutes per side, flipping once. You want your crab to get nicely brown and crispy.
- Add more butter as necessary to keep a thin layer in the bottom of the pan. Once the crab is cooked, remove and set aside.
- Add shallots to butter in pan and cook until golden brown, about a minute.
- Add capers, parsley and crab back to pan and heat just until warm. Finish with a tablespoon of butter (chef secret). Garnish with lemon juice and more parsley.
If dealing with live crabs, it is best to store them wrapped in damp newspaper or paper towels in the refrigerator (this will slow down their motor skills). Live crabs can also be frozen for ease of cleaning, and should be frozen if not being cooked right away. Let frozen crabs thaw in the refrigerator before cleaning and cooking.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Recipes
Keywords: crab recipe, soft shell crab, blue crab, paleo, gaps, keto, gluten free