- 4 oz butter (1 stick), room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 egg
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup almond flour (ground almonds)
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- Sliced almonds, for decoration, optional
- Confectioner's sugar, for dusting
- With a hand mixer or stand mixer with paddle attachment, beat together butter and sugar on medium speed until smooth and light in color. Add egg and beat until smooth. Scrape down bowl with spatula.
- Sift together flour, almond meal and salt. In several additions and beating on low speed, add dry ingredients to mixer, scraping the bowl often. Form dough into a flat disk, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for two hours minimum.
- Preheat oven to 375° F. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough with a floured rolling pin to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut cookies to the size of your choice, dipping cutter into flour often to easily release cookies.
- For optional decoration, lightly press a sliced almond into the center of each cookie.
- Bake at 375° F until edges of cookies just begin to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Cool completely on cookie sheet. Store in an airtight container for a few days, or freeze.
- To serve, dust with confectioner's sugar.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 5-8 minutes
- Category: Sweets
Keywords: almond cookies, cookie recipe, almond cookie recipes, almond flour recipes, shortbread recipes, almond shortbread, baking, food blog