Naturally gluten and dairy free, these chocolate chip cookies can take you back to your childhood. See the notes for how to make paleo chocolate chunks at home.
- 1½ cups fine-ground almond flour
- ¾ cup arrowroot or tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (½ teaspoon if using table salt)
- 3 ounces grass-fed butter, softened (or ghee or coconut oil chilled to the texture of room temperature butter)
- ¾ cup coconut sugar or ⅓ cup honey
- 2 large eggs, local or free range recommended
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips or chunks*
Mix + chill dough
- Whisk together flours, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- Beat pastured butter, ghee or coconut oil with coconut sugar or honey in a large bowl until combined.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla into butter/sugar mixture.
- Add dry ingredients a little at a time, stirring or beating with a mixer to blend.
- Fold in chocolate chunks or chips with a spatula.
- Chill until cold, at least two hours (the waiting is worth it!).
- With an ice cream scoop with a release or two spoons, scoop same-sized balls of dough onto a greased, non-stick or parchment-lined cookie sheet. Spacing them two inches apart.
- Bake cookies 8-10 minutes at 350° F, just until set and beginning to brown around the edges. For a crispier cookie, bake a few minutes longer.
- Cool a couple minutes on the baking pan, then transfer to a rack or plate.
- Store covered as long as they last, or freeze.
For Homemade Paleo-style Chocolate Chips
- Line the bottom and sides of a 9" x 13" baking pan with parchment paper.
- Chop two 8-ounce bars of unsweetened chocolate.
- Combine chocolate with 4 ounces of coconut sugar in a small pot over low heat, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Pour into baking pan, and chill.
- Lift parchment with sweetened chocolate from pan, and chop chocolate into small chunks.
- Dough can be refrigerated for about two weeks, or frozen for a couple of months.
For GAPS Diet Chocolate Chips
Follow the steps above, but in place of the coconut sugar, use 2 ounces/¼ cup raw honey.
Keywords: paleo chocolate chip cookies, grain-free chocolate chip cookies, chocolate chip cookies with almond flour, paleo desserts, GAPS cookies