- 1½ cups of finely-ground almond flour
- ¾ cup of arrowroot or tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of flake kosher or sea salt (½ teaspoon if using table salt)
- 3 ounces of unsalted butter, softened (for true "paleo" cookies, use ghee or coconut oil chilled to the texture of room temperature butter)
- ¾ cup of coconut sugar or ⅓ cup of honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups of dark chocolate chips
- Combine the dry ingredients. Whisk together the flours, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- Beat together the sugar and butter (or oil). In a separate large bowl, beat the butter, ghee or coconut oil with coconut sugar or honey on with a hand mixer on medium speed (or use your stand mixer). Beat until the sugar dissolves a little and the mixture lightens. Beat in the eggs one at a time, and then the vanilla extract.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients. Add the flour mixture a little at a time, beating on low speed until the dough is homogenous.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips. Fold in chocolate chunks or chips with a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Chill the dough until hard, or overnight. Chill the dough until it's cold and hard, at least two hours. You can bake room temperature dough, but the cookies will spread in the oven.
- Preheat the oven and scoop the cookies. Preheat the oven to 350° F. With an ice cream scoop with a release or two spoons, scoop same-sized balls of dough onto a greased, non-stick or parchment-lined cookie sheet. Space them two inches apart.
- Bake until lightly browned. Bake cookies 8-10 minutes at 350° F, just until set and beginning to brown around the edges. For a crispier cookie, bake a few minutes longer. Cool a couple minutes on the baking pan, then transfer to a rack or plate. Store covered as long as they last, or freeze.
For homemade dark chocolate chips...
- Line the bottom and sides of a 9" x 13" baking pan with parchment paper.
- Chop two 4-ounce bars of unsweetened chocolate.
- Combine chocolate with 4 ounces/about ¾ cups of coconut sugar in a small pot over low heat, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Pour into baking pan, spread it smooth, and chill. For the fastest chilling, you can pop the pan in the freezer if it fits.
- Lift parchment with sweetened chocolate from pan, and chop chocolate into small chunks.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 8-10 minutes
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
Keywords: paleo chocolate chip cookies, grain-free chocolate chip cookies, chocolate chip cookies with almond flour, paleo desserts, GAPS cookies