Loads of wonderful holiday spices, this one that easily becomes gluten free and dairy free. With three forms of ginger, this gingerbread loaf is quick, easy and perfect for the holidays!
- 10 ounces/2 cups all-purpose flour or 10 ounces/2 heaping cups 1:1 gluten-free flour blend like Bob's Red Mill
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup apple cider (or not-from-concentrate apple juice)*
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 ounces/¼ cup/4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted or avocado oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- ¼ cup brown sugar, optional (up to ¾ cup sugar if you want it more like a cake)
- 2 tablespoons candied ginger pieces, or candied ginger chopped small
Vanilla-Apple Cider Glaze
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar, sifted
- 1-2 tablespoons spiced apple cider
- pinch of salt
- vanilla extract
- Grease an 8" or 9" loaf pan*. Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients (or sift them onto parchment for easy clean up).
- Peel the skin off a small branch of fresh ginger with the edge of a spoon. Grate about two tablespoons worth using a microplane or on the small holes of a box grater.
- In a medium bowl, combine grated ginger with remaining wet ingredients and whisk well.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients in one of the bowls. If baking with all-purpose flour, be careful not to over-mix batter, only mix until just combined. If baking gluten-free, whisk vigorously until the batter is well mixed.
- Pour batter into loaf pan and smooth top with spatula. Sprinkle with small pieces of candied ginger and press them in slightly. If baking gluten-free, let batter rest for 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake for 40 minutes, just until the top springs back when gently pressed, or for gluten-free until a toothpick comes out nearly clean. Cover loosely with foil if loaf begins to brown before done baking.
- Cool in the pan, then turn out onto a plate.
- Store covered tightly at room temperature, or wrap and freeze.
Apple Cider Glaze
Sift confectioner's sugar into a medium bowl. Add one to two tablespoons of spiced apple cider or milk, and whisk until it smooths out. Whisk in vanilla extract and any spices, if using. Drizzle over cooled gingerbread loaf.
If you don't mind dairy, you can use milk in place of the apple cider.
Keywords: gingerbread, gingerbread loaf, gluten-free gingerbread