For Cake Batter
- 8 ounces whole wheat pastry flour, cake flour or all-purpose tsp baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 6.5 ounces granulated sugar
- 3 lemons, zested
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- Fresh berries, 1/4 cup a person
- Unsalted butter, pastured recommended
- Brandy, Cointreau, Grand Marnier, Saint Germaine or any liqueur you like
For Whipped Cream
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1-2 tablespoons confectioner's (powdered) sugar
For Pound Cake
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Line muffin cups or grease and line the bottom of a cake pan with parchment.
- Sift together first three ingredients.
- In a stand mixer with a paddle or a hand mixer, beat butter and sugar until lightened in color.
- Beat in vanilla extract, lemon zest and lemon juice on medium speed, scraping down the bowl and paddle. Mixture will be lumpy.
- Turn down speed slightly, and beat in eggs one at a time.
- On low speed, add dry ingredients a little at a time, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl at least once.
- Portion batter evenly into twelve cupcakes, or smooth into a greased loaf or round cake pan.
- Bake for 20 to 22 minutes for cupcakes, or 30 to 50 minutes depending on shape and size of pan. The cake is done when you gently press the top with your finger, and it bounces back. You can also use the toothpick test (comes out clean, meaning no raw batter).
- Cool in the pan until you can handle, then unmold cake and cool completely on a rack.
- Store in an airtight container or wrapped in plastic wrap.
For Compote + Whipped Cream
- For fresh whipped cream, beat cream with a few spoonfuls of powdered sugar until medium-stiff peaks form. Add lemon or orange zest for more flavor.
- For compote, slice larger berries into smaller pieces.
- Combine all fruit with a little butter in a saucepan over medium heat, simmering until slightly softened.
- Add a few splashes of liqueur, and bring to a quick boil.
- Serve immediately by spooning over slices of pound cake, and topping with fresh whipped cream.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20-22 minutes
- Category: Sweets, Recipes
- Method: Baking
Keywords: lemon pound cake, pound cake, berry compote, baking, cake, cake recipes, gluten free pound cake