The only way to enjoy creamy, crispy home fries at, well, home! Boiling potatoes can allow them to absorb too much moisture, but steaming them in the oven gets them perfectly tender, and ready for browning.
Frying the steamed potatoes in sausage fat is my favorite way to go, but any oil you like works here.
Home Fries Ingredients
- 4 large potatoes, diced small, Russet or Yukon Gold recommended (one per person)
- ½ medium onion, chopped small
- ½ pound hot Italian sausage
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, chopped
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Avocado or peanut oil for frying
More Add-in Ideas
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- bell peppers
- baby greens like spinach or arugula
- a few pinches red pepper flakes or pinch of Cayenne pepper
- few drops of Worcestershire sauce
- fresh or dried herbs, try thyme, oregano, parsley or sage
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Spread out chopped potatoes on large sheet pans. Drizzle a little water into each group, and cover with foil.
- Bake potatoes until tender, but not mushy.
- Optional: Once the potatoes are cooked, turn off the oven and remove the foil. Let sit for ten minutes.
- Remove potatoes from oven and cool completely. This can be done up to two days ahead, store chilled.
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, brown the sausage, stirring occasionally and breaking into smaller pieces. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In sausage drippings over medium-high heat cook potatoes in batches until brown on all sides, flipping potatoes once with a spatula. Fight the urge to stir! Add oil as necessary.
- Scrape potatoes to the side, and add onions and mushrooms.
- Once the mushrooms brown and shrink in size, add tomatoes and sausage.
- Combine gently until all ingredients are hot, seasoning with salt and pepper.
Keywords: home fries, home fries recipe, how to make home fries, how to make crispy home fries