This is pumpkin soup for all diets, including vegan! Use my seasonings as a guide - not the end all, eat all. For any mention of "small dice", just do your best to cut the ingredient to somewhere near 1/4" pieces.
- 4 ounces pancetta or 4-6 strips of bacon, chopped small (leave out for vegan + GAPS diet)
- Butter, ghee or avocado oil
- 1 small yellow onion, small dice
- 2 stalks of celery, small dice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (chopped super small, almost to a paste)
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme or parsley stems
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (couple small splashes)
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock, no salt added (homemade for GAPS diet)
- 28-30 ounces pumpkin puree, fresh roasted or canned (1 large can or 2 small)
- ½-1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ cup heavy cream or coconut milk/cream
- Kosher salt & ground white pepper, to taste
Crisp the pancetta or bacon (if using)
In a dutch oven or large soup pot, crisp the meat over medium heat with a little olive oil to keep it from sticking. Remove and drain on paper towels, reserve for later.
Combine and simmer the rest of the ingredients
- In pancetta drippings left in the pot or with oil/butter/ghee, sauté onions and celery until translucent.
- Add bay leaves and garlic, cook a minute, stirring to keep garlic from burning.
- Add thyme or parsley, stock, and pumpkin and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat, and simmer on low for 15 to 30 minutes, even a couple hours.
- Remove thyme sprigs and bay leaf.
- Blend your soup in batches for the smoothest, silkiest texture, or use an immersion blender for quick smoothing out.
- Add Chinese five spice, nutmeg and season to taste with salt.
- Optional! Whisk in cream, a dash of Tabasco or Sriracha, or a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce.
- Garnish with pancetta, chopped fresh herbs, pomegranate seeds or all three!
Keywords: soup, pumpkin soup recipe, pumpkin soup, giant pumpkin