A crowd pleaser and a great way to end a Sunday, or any day really!
- 3-4 pound beef top round, tied and at room temperature
- 3 tbsp avocado oil or pastured lard
- Kosher salt, black pepper, or spice rub of choice
- 2 cups unsalted beef stock
- 2 large red beets
- ½ cup apple cider
- 2 zucchini squash, cut in half lengthwise, then into ¼-inch half moons
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved (10-12 tomatoes)
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, minced
- Butter or ghee, as needed
- 1 tsp sea salt, to finish
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Season beef generously with salt and pepper or spice rub.
- Tie with butcher's twine in three places, evenly spaced apart.
- Heat oil in a cast iron skillet on medium-high heat, and sear beef on all sides to a dark golden brown.
- Transfer beef to oven, and cook to desired internal temperature, about 40 minutes for medium (internal temperature of 140° F). When squeezed on both sides with two fingers, the meat should give to pressure, but not feel flimsy or too soft.
- Remove from oven, and rest covered with foil for 15 minutes.
Pan Jus (sauce)
- After removing beef from oven, place skillet over medium-high heat on stove and add beef stock.
- Reduce the stock by half, scraping the bottom of the skillet with a wooden spoon to release drippings (yummy bits!).
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Boil + roast beets
- Boil beets covered by two inches of salted water until they are tender. Or roast wrapped in foil at 400° F until tender.
- Cool, and remove skin with peeler or side of a small spoon.
- Slice and reheat in a pan with apple cider and a few pinches of salt.
Squash + tomatoes
- In a small amount of butter over medium heat, sauté squash until it begins to brown.
- Add tomatoes and cook until they begin to wilt. Sprinkle with fresh thyme.