These decadent and delicious caramelized apple pancakes sing of the fall season, and can be topped with whipped cream, homemade or canned. For homemade whipped cream, beat a cup of heavy cream with a couple teaspoons of sugar. To spice it up, add a splash of orange liquor or brandy!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of cloves
- pinch of allspice
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup whole (or 2%)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 egg whites (reserve egg yolks for sauce)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- zest of one lemon
- 1 apple, peeled and cut into ¼-inch slices, tossed in lemon juice
- fresh-squeezed lemon juice, for preventing apples from browning
- ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
Crème anglaise (vanilla sauce)
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- ⅔ cup whole milk
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 4 egg yolks (save whites for French macarons)
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise (or 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract)
Make vanilla sauce
- If using fresh vanilla bean, bring heavy cream and milk just to a boil and remove from heat. Gently scrape out seeds of vanilla bean and add to pot with bean, let steep for 15 minutes.
- Strain and return infused liquid to pot with half of the granulated sugar.
- In a heat-proof bowl, stir together egg yolks and remaining sugar.
- Bring milk, cream and sugar to a boil.
- Slowly drizzle hot milk mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly.
- Immediately pour the egg mixture back into the pot, and over very low heat, stir constantly until the sauce coats the back of the wooden spoon.
- Strain once more to remove any curdled egg yolk, and add vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste, if using.
- Sauce can be made ahead and refrigerated. Reheat gently over low heat.
Mix + cook pancakes
- Combine first six ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Add remaining pancake ingredients, and stir just until the batter comes together.
- On a griddle or oiled pan, melt a small amount of butter and pour about a half a cup of batter per pancake.
- Cook on first side until bubbles pop at the surface, flip, and finish.
- Keep cooked pancakes in a warm oven until ready to serve.
- in a large sauté pan over medium heat, melt butter until foamy.
- Add apples and sprinkle over sugar.
- Cook until caramelized, flipping once.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and set aside.
Keywords: pancakes recipe, bongo room chicago, creme anglaise, vanilla sauce recipe, vanilla bean pancakes