- 1¼ cup flour, wheat, whole-grain wheat, gluten-free or fine-ground almond flour/coconut flour blend* (see note)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 2 ounces/4 tablespoons/¼ cup unsalted butter, ghee or coconut oil, melted
- 2 large, ripe bananas
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed (dark or light)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons organic or cultured or homemade sour cream
- ¼ teaspoons lemon (or orange!) zest, optional
Prepare the deck
Preheat oven to 350° F. If using wheat flour, grease bottom and sides of an 8 or 9-inch loaf pan. For gluten-free bread, only grease the bottom. Or line standard muffin cup pan.
- Whisk or blend wet ingredients. Melt butter and cool a few minutes. Combine melted butter with remaining wet ingredients and whisk well, or blend in a blender until smooth.
- Whisk dry ingredients. In a large bowl, whisk together flour(s), salt, baking powder, baking soda and ground nutmeg.
- Add wet ingredients to dry. Mix just until the batter is smooth (over-mixing will lead to a tough loaf). Batter will be thick. If baking gluten-free, mix batter well.
Scrape into loaf pan, sprinkle with large crystal sugar (or regular granulated) and bake for 40-50 minutes. Bread is done when the top springs back from gentle pressure and/or until toothpick comes out clean.
If using a 9-inch loaf pan, cooking time will be slightly less. Muffins generally take 18-20 minutes. The toothpick test is your friend every time.
Cool bread in pan for 10 minutes, and then transfer to wire rack and cool completely.
Don't overmix! The binding gluten proteins in wheat flour will turn tough with too much mixing. Combine the wet and dry ingredients completely with about ten good stirs, then drop that spatula like it's hot.
For Paleo/Grain-free/GAPS: Replace the wheat flour with 1¾ cups almond flour + ¾ cups coconut flour. Replace the sugar with coconut sugar, or ⅓ cup raw honey. Eliminate the baking powder since most contain added starch, and are not grain-free. Using ¾ teaspoons of baking soda for leavening will give the same rise. If you are following a strict, dairy-free Paleo diet, lose the sour cream.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40-50 minutes
- Category: sweets
- Method: baking
Keywords: banana bread recipe, gluten free banana bread, Paleo banana bread, GAPS diet banana bread