Use the basic stir-fry sauce below to make orange chicken, or mix it up with sesame seeds or more chilis. Fresh, packed with vegetables, stir-fry at home is incredibly flavorful and much healthier than delivery!
Meat Batter + Marinade
- 4-8 boneless/skinless chicken thighs or breasts, sliced into ¼ strips (or tofu for vegan)
- Egg whites
- Cornstarch (non-GMO recommended)
- Gluten-free soy sauce or coconut aminos
- Avocado or peanut oil for frying
Stir-Fry Orange Sauce
- ½ cup gluten-free soy sauce or coconut aminos
- ½ cup rice wine vinegar or Mirin
- ½ cup sugar or brown sugar, or ¼ raw honey (omit for keto/low-carb)
- ½ cup black bean garlic sauce (can sub with a few pinches of chili flakes or even hoisin sauce)
- Zest and juice of two small or one large orange
- Starch slurry: 2-3 tablespoons of cornstarch (or arrowroot/tapioca) mixed with water to a heavy cream consistency
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- About one tablespoon ginger, peeled and minced or grated (I used a microplane grater)
- 2 scallions, sliced thin (whites and greens separated)
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- Water chestnuts, drained
- Sesame oil, for frying
- Any other chopped vegetables you desire... Snow peas, Napa cabbage and broccoli are all delicious!
- Cooked rice or cauliflower rice for serving
Make batter (omit for vegan, keto, grain-free or low-carb)
- Whisk cornstarch into a couple egg whites until the consistency of pancake batter.
- Whisk in soy sauce or coconut aminos.
- Coat chicken in batter and marinate while you prepare the rest. This can be done a day ahead.
Mix slurry + stir-fry sauces
- To prepare slurry (thickening agent), combine a few tablespoons of cornstarch with water in a small bowl until it is about the consistency of heavy cream. Set aside. Omit for grain-free.
- In a wok or large sauté pan, heat half an inch of oil over medium-high for several minutes.
- Fry chicken (or tofu) in batches until golden brown and thoroughly cooked, flipping as needed. Drain on paper towels and set aside. Discard oil, and wipe pan.
- In same wok over high heat, sauté garlic, ginger and whites of scallions in sesame oil for one minute.
- Add vegetables, while stirring constantly. Never stop stirring or ingredients will burn.
- Add stir-fry sauce mixture and slurry to pan, mixing well. Bring to a boil just until the sauce thickens.
- Turn the heat down and add chicken back to pan.
- Garnish with greens of scallions.
- Serve over rice, or cauliflower rice for a lower carb dish.
Keywords: orange chicken, panda express orange chicken, orange chicken recipe, stir-fry sauce, stir-fry ingredients