A delicious, quick and easy way to eat Brussels sprouts! Mixing in dried cranberries gives this simple side dish a tart pop of sweetness.
- 1 bag/about 12 ounces fresh whole or shaved Brussels sprouts
- avocado oil, for the pan
- pastured butter, unsalted, for finishing
- salt and black pepper
- few pinches of dried cranberries
- bacon or pancetta, chopped small
- sliced or candied nuts
- small diced red bell pepper
- If adding bacon or pancetta, fry over medium heat in large skillet until brown and cooked through, but still tender (not crispy). Remove bits from pan.
- Sauté shredded Brussels sprouts in bacon fat with a good sprinkling of salt, stirring somewhat frequently. Cook until shreds are tender to the bite, but not soft.
- If garnishing with bell pepper, add halfway through cooking sprouts. If adding dried cranberries or other dried fruit, add to pan and cook a few minutes more.
- Season to your liking with salt and pepper, and a couple pats of unsalted butter.
- Garnish with crispy bacon pieces.