It’s World Nutella Day – all day long, too. And the Super Bowl is tonight. My mind is racing with so many sweet and nutty thoughts that are football friendly. Like dips!
Or my infamous Nutella brownies from last year…
Or sugar cookies with vanilla icing and football laces stenciled with Nutella. A Nutella cream pie with meringue topping. Sour cream Nutella pound cake. I could get out of control, but I’ll stop. Because sadly, I have aproblem. My oven is broken (insert single tear). So to honor World Nutella Day sans baking, I present Fluffy Nutella Mousse: Nutella blended with marshmallow fluff and whipped cream, topped with toasted hazelnuts and served with fruit and French butter biscuits.
Only after Nutella was splattered all over the walls of my kitchen did I realize it’s best to beat the sticky Nutella and marshmallow fluff with a little heavy cream using a hand or stand mixer. This will lighten the mixture so folding in the whipped cream is easy.
You may have noticed I’m playing it fast and loose with use of the word mousse. But I just don’t believe any edible involving Nutella is deserving of the word dip. That’s for beans, cheese and corn chips. And while I believe Nutella can be enjoyed in the presence of football (a true team player) – the divine chocolate-hazelnut spread will always be better than any Super Bowl, at least in my opinion. Plus, it’s Labrador approved (don’t worry, she didn’t eat any). Go Giants!
- ½ cup Nutella, or chocolate hazelnut spread
- 1 cup marshmallow cream
- 2 cups heavy cream, whipped (2 tablespoons separated)
- ¼ cup hazelnuts, toasted and chopped fine
- Fresh fruit and French butter biscuits, for dipping
- In a medium bowl, beat Nutella, marshmallow cream and two tablespoons of heavy cream on high speed until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, beat the two cups of heavy cream on high speed to medium peaks (thick, but not stiff). Using a spatula, fold all but ½ cup of the whipped cream into the Nutella mixture in three additions.
- In a large sauté pan, toast hazelnuts on medium heat until fragrant and light golden in color. Chop fine or place in a plastic bag and smash with a mallet. Top Nutella mousse with crushed hazelnuts and more whipped cream.